Change of Provider Request

Please first discuss your treatment concerns directly with your provider (case manager, therapist, social worker, nurse, or physician/psychiatrist) or with the Program Manager or Supervisor. If you are still unhappy with your provider, you have the right to request a change of provider and / or to file a grievance.

To request a change or file a grievance, reach out to the Quality Management (QM) Program and/or the Patient’s Rights Advocate:

  • QM Program: (415) 473-2887 
  • Patient’s Rights Advocate: (415) 526-7525